We want to have hot pot dishes (is called “nabe ryouri” in Japanese.) in the mid winter, don’t we? Kimuchi taste (based) of hot pot is one of my favorite dishes. We need to use to a certain extent of kimuchi for nabe. Of course we can buy a pack of kimuchi anywhere in the UK and you might be able to find more variety of kimuchi at a big asian grocery shop. However it’s expensive for me. I think average market price is￡3 for 200‐300g. I guess you might get it cheaper than that price at Asian foods shop where is in big city as London and Manchester etc.. but shops nearby I live sell above price. I am not happy to spend ￡3 for just only 200-300g of kimuchi because this mount is gone very easy at once so I’ve bought it several times so far since I came to the UK.
I’ve got image that making kimuchi is very hard… The birthplace of kimuchi in Korea, they normally make it at home and each family have their own recipe and different taste and also they have a fridge only for kimuchi.
My kimuchi recipe might not be authentic but you can adjust how much spicy you want and it’s reasonable too. It might take your time but I’m sure you would like to have it always at home.
Let’s make KIMUCHI!!
用意する物＊Ingredient ・白菜 2個 (2 Chinese cabbages) １つ￡1.4でいつも買ってます。（I normally buy ￡1.4 each) ・塩 75g (Salt 75g) ・水 350ml (Water 350ml) ・りんご 1つ (1 Apple) ・にんにく 40g (Garlic 40g) ・しょうが 40g (Ginger 40g) ・フィッシュソース 50ml (Fish sauce 50ml) ・粉唐辛子 20g (Chili powder 20g) ・粗挽き唐辛子 20 g (Chili frakes 20g) ・にら 適量 (A handful of Chinese chive) ・ねぎ 適量 (A handful of Spring onion) ・ごま 適量 (Few pinches of sesami)
1) 白菜を洗って、ヘタを切った後縦8等分に切る Wash Chinese cabbages and take calyx out then cut 8 pieces lengthwise.
2) 食べやすいサイズに切り、葉と白い部分を分けておく Cut about 1 bite size and divide leaves side and white part.
3) 最初に白い部分のみを鍋またはボールに入れて、塩と水を全部加えて混ぜる。大きめの鍋、またはボールを使う事をおすすめします。 First put only ｗhite part of Chinese cabbages into a pot or bowl and add all salt and water and mix very well. I recommend to use big pot or big bowl.
4) 30分後に残りの葉っぱも全部入れて、全体に塩水がかかるように混ぜる。使うお鍋のサイズにもよりますが写真の様にこんなにいっぱいになります。 30 minutes later, add all leaves into the pot and mix well as each of Chinese cabbages can get salt water. They are filled of my biggest pot.
5) お皿またはシリコン製の蓋を落し蓋として入れ、重りを乗せて3時間位置いておきます。 Place a plate or silicon lid on the Chinese cabbage and leave about 3 hours with weight on the plate.
6) ヤンニョム作り: Making yannyomu りんごは皮付きのまま 、にんにく、生姜をすりおろす。 フードプロセッサーがあれば使ってもOKです。 Grate an apple with skin, garlic anf ginger. If you have a food processor, that’d be good to use for.
7) フィッシュソース、粉唐辛子、粗挽き唐辛子を６)に入れる。 ここで自分好みの辛さ調整をしてください。 にらは2-3cm感覚に切り、ねぎは小さく切ります。 残っている全部の具材を入れてよく混ぜます。手でもお箸、スプーン 使ってもOKです。 Add fish sauce, chill powder and medium grande chill (chill flack is fine If you don’t have) into 6). You need to adjust how much spicy you like here. Cut chinese chive as 2-3 cm and chop spring onion. Add left of all ingredient into a bowl them mix well. By hand (it’s actually traditional way) or chopsticks whatever you feel easy and comfortable to mix.
8) 漬けた白菜を絞って、ザルにあけ30分位水切りをする。 Squeeze Chinese cabbage from salt water properly, leave them in the colander and drain about 30 mins.
9) 白菜を3等分にし、それぞれビニール袋に入れる。 Divide Chinese cabbages into thirds and put them into plastic bags each.
10) ヤムニョムも３等分にし、それぞれビニール袋に入れヤムニョムが全体に馴染むようによく揉んでいく Divide yannyomu into thirds too and put them into each plastic bags them knead well.
11) 空気を抜いて口を縛り、タッパーに入れて冷蔵庫で約4-7日間で食べ頃になります Take air out from plastic bags and tight up and place them in containers in the fridge about 4-7 days.
翌日からも食べる事は出来ますが、1週間位置いた方が断然美味しいです！ You can eat kimuchi from next day but that’d be nice if you can wait a week!
私好みの辛さなので、必ず辛さは確認して調節して下さい。 チリの量については完全に私好みです。辛い物が好きな人には同じ量で問題ないかと思いますが、そこまでっていう方には記載した粉唐辛子・粗挽き唐辛子の量から各5g位減らして調節してみてください。 Please make sure to check how much spicy you want because this recipe is what I like. I normally LOVE spicy dishes so if you are just ok for it, I recommend to add less 5g chill powder and frakes each at least.
この方法だとビニール手袋も要らないです。 ヤンニョム作る時もスプーン、お箸で混ぜています。 In my way, you don’t need to use plastic gloves at all. I use spoon or chopsticks when I make yannyomu.
これでキムチ鍋、キムチ納豆、キムチ炒飯、キムチうどん、豚キムチ炒め、、、入れたい分だけキムチが使えて食べたい時にいつでも食べれます！ Kimuchi hot pot, kimuchi natto (fermented soy beans), kimuchi fried rice, kimuchi udon and kimuchi pork fried etc.. now you can add kimuchi as much as you want and whenever you want eat!
冷蔵庫の匂いですが、多少はキムチ臭くはなりますが、私はそれほど気にならないです。 キムチ作り始めてから消費量がものすごく速いので、出来上がってからキムチが冷蔵庫に入っている期間が短い可能性もあるかもです。 It might be kimuchi smell in fridge but I think it’s not strong as you really care. Kimuchi is gone very quick since I stared making that’s why I really don’t care about smell because it doesn’t long in the fridge a while.
思っているより複雑な過程じゃないので、是非作ってみて下さい。 自分の好きな味のキムチを見つけて常備しましょう！ Making kimuchi is not complex as you think. Let’s make the best kimuchi you love and keep it with you always!
I went to high school in Tokyo and spent such an unforgettable time for 3 years. I still (of course) meet friends who I met there even all of us have different lives, some of us got married, have children and others enjoy single life but I see them whenever they have time, wherever easy to get together when I am back to Japan. Also all of friends from my home town have children but we often see each other the same as friends from high school! Awww I really miss all of them so much!
After graduating high school, I went to women college and straight away started working as an office lady after graduation in Tokyo. During I was working, I tried to travel somewhere in oversea when I made time. I did 2 or 3 times a year.
One day I coincidentally reached to the blog which a Japanese guy traveled in the world wrote. The blog actually changed my mind and reading his blog was accounted for my day. I read it anywhere I could read, in the train, in the bath, before sleep etc. I kept reading world traveler’s blogs after I finished reading the blog. I’d never thought about travelling all of the world, I’d never met people who’s done,
First, I decided to go to the Philippines to study English. I noticed that a lot of students in the same school in the Philippines were going to Australia with working holiday visa after finished studying while I stayed over. I was going to be in Japan a little bit and started preparing for travel around the world but I determined to go to Australia like them because I purely wanted to go and see Australia.
I ended up to stay in Australia for 2 years, I met partner, Paul before first year expired and our second year started. I applied YMS 2015 (Youth Mobility Scheme), got this opportunity and landed the UK before Christmas. I was just super lucky that I was selected YMS in 2015. We applied a partnership visa 3 days before YMS expired and our visa application approved without problem in January 2018. I will post a blog that focus on partnership soon.
Now my forth year living in the UK just stared. I never thought about living in the UK when I was willing to do “travelling around the world” and my life is a bit far from that dream I had (am having) but still it’s kind of linked “abroad”.
Hello, My name is Misisan. I came over to the UK in December 2015 and now I live in Yorkshire. I was willing to start writing a blog since I came to the UK but I’ve not get active to do a while and now I’m finally here.
In fact, it’s NOT easy to live in oversea more than I thought however UK life’s brought me many opportunities as I could not have if I was in Japan. Hope I can share my feelings, life and anything about around me with people who is on the same situation, people who is interested in the life in abroad, people who likes the UK or anyone who comes to this blog.
I will try to update this blog in Japanese and English. Please let me know when you find wrong spellings or any typos because I need to improve writing. There will definitely have a lot of typos further blogs as I’ve not done writing at all.
もっと深く掘り下げた自己紹介については次回したいと思います。 I will let you know about me more than today the next time.